STEM is more than Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics. STEM is hands-on, minds-on FUN.
When we teach STEM, we:
- Ignite curiosity
- Reinforce what students learn in the classroom
- Build critical thinkers who can collaborate
- Build STEM families and economically vital communities
- Empower a new generation of innovators and problem solvers
So many young people miss opportunities when they think “I’m not a science or a math person.” We want to change this perspective one positive STEM experience at a time. NC CAP wants ALL people to be STEM people, which is why we created free STEM lesson plans for out-of-school time providers.
- All of the background is included in each activity. You don’t have to be a scientist to teach or learn STEM.
- All ages, from K – 12, have activities, suggested adaptations, and resources.
- All activities are correlated to NC Essential Standards in Science.
- All program settings are incorporated, whether it is in classroom, in playgrounds, in gyms or in nature.
- All people are valued, with teacher notes in each lesson to include people who have Sensory Integration Issues.
- All families can participate. Our STEM To-Go activities connect children, schools, extended day programs, and families through STEM adventures at home. Check back soon for our STEM To-Go sheets in Spanish!
- All lessons include technology, with interactive websites and tech adventures for kids.